January 31, 2007

PICC Line Finally

Azer was scheduled to get a PICC line on Friday, and he was supposed to have gotten sedated and not under general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist wanted to do it under general anesthesia and so it was do be rescheduled. The CF doctor didn't see the need for general anesthesia, but it was already too late to be done that day. It was rescheduled for Monday. In the meantime, he had to get a new IV every day. Sunday he had to get one in the morning, and then another one in the evening. They were just not staying in.

Anyway ... he got his PICC line put in, and he was only sedated. It took him a few hours to completely wake up, but all in all, it turned out very well. It looks so neat and tidy compared to the mess of tape that they put on his hand when he has an IV in.

January 25, 2007

Got Admitted to the Hospital

Yesterday, I took him to the pediatrician. The waiting room was very full, and we had to wait for a few hours. His fever had not gone down, so I kept giving him Motrin and wiping him with a damp cloth while we waited. Finally, we were seen, and we were sent down to get a chest x-ray and a kidney, ureter, and bladder (KUB) x-ray to see if there was any blockages. They did see some stool in his intestines, and they found he had pneumonia in his left lung.

We were admitted and the doctor says we will probably be in for about 14 days. They started him on Tobramycin, through IV and inhaled. He seems to be feeling better already, although he still has not had a BM. They are going to try a suppository, and if that doesn't work ... they will try an enema!
We have already requested a PICC line to be put in, so hopefully it will be in by Friday.

January 23, 2007

Azer's Hospital Admission

For the past few weeks, Azer has been having stomach pains. His BM's have been looking more ... "normal". The doctor said he is probably constipated and we started giving him some Milk of Magnesia. His stomach pains seemed to go away, so we thought that was the end of it.

Now, his stomach pains returned, along with shoulder pains. This afternoon he got a fever. Now it is the evening and his fever is up to 103 degrees. I was debating taking him to the ER, but his CF doctor says if Azer should be able to wait until tomorrow morning, and then take him to the pediatrician.